For decades, SPX Cooling Technologies has been a leading producer of counterflow cooling towers for large industrial installations. Today we’re bringing the technology down to size… with the new Marley MD Cooling Tower.
The Marley MD is a packaged counterflow cooling tower. Available as both Factory Assembled or Field Erected, the Marley MD has a smaller footprint while providing comparable capacity as a crossflow cooling tower. This induced-draft counterflow tower is ideal for applications with restricted site conditions and/or low energy requirements.
CaracterísticasCTI Certified ASHRAE 90.1 compliant OSHA compliant Rugged G235 galvanized steel is standard with 300 series stainless steel as an optional upgrade to part or the entire tower structure Triple-pass inlet louvers and drift eliminators that conserve water and improve winter operation 5 year mechanical warranty
Counterflow towers have different footprints from crossflow towers and offer layout alternatives. Where space is limited or otherwise restricted, the counterflow’s smaller footprint can be a perfect fit. In addition to taking up less site space, counterflow towers may have a lower installed weight. Plus, piping costs can be reduced since a single inlet is usually standard.
The counterflow’s tight louvers prevent sunlight from hitting the collection basin reducing algae growth. Counterflow towers also offer easy access from all tower sides. The wet surface is enclosed for winter operation and protection from environmental elements. It has all of this and a corrosion-resistant spray system, too.
Low Energy Consumption
Induced draft counterflow equipment minimizes the energy consumption by providing a lower fan energy requirement than centrifugal fan counterflow units. And being remarkably energy efficient, it doesn’t waste a single kilowatt.
Superior Water Management
To reduce “splash-out” typically found in competitive counterflow designs, Marley introduces an industry first: a triple-pass inlet louver that conserves water and improves winter operation.
Induced draft counterflow design requires less plan area than crossflow towers. And typically because the tower’s size results in less steel used, its reduced weight requires less support structure.
Long Life Construction
Rugged G235 heavy mill galvanized steel is standard with 300 series stainless steel as an optional upgrade to part or the entire tower structure. Marley ISO certified plants assure quality factory-assembly.
The Marley MD comes standard with our low-noise fan, suitable for most noise-sensitive situations.
Heavy-duty construction, high-performance design, and our five-year mechanical warranty ensure consistent, fully rated cooling over a wide range of flow and temperature requirements.
Ease of maintenance
Marley has worked hard to address the maintenance difficulties long associated with counterflow towers. Our MD tower provides larger access doors and other features that simplify maintenance.
What makes the Marley counterflow tower better?
- Triple-pass inlet louvers and drift eliminator for superior splash-out protection and water conservation
- SPX’s position as “sole source supplier” for all configurations of cooling towers and fluid coolers
Air Movement Package
- Eased inlet fan cylinder ensures full area, low turbulent airflow through the cylinder.
- High efficiency fan wide-chord design for maximum efficiency at low fan tip speeds.
- New Nozzle Design allows for complete coverage without alignment dependency.
- Marley PowerBelt™ an industry-leading drive, all aluminum sheaves, easy belt replacement and 100,000-hour bearing life.
- TEFC Fan Motor 1.15 service factor, variable torque, and specially insulated for cooling tower duty for extended life.
- Removable fan guard welded heavy gauge rods. Hot dip galvanized after fabrication.
- The MD air movement package including the structural support the guaranteed against failure for a period of five full years. The motor is warranted separately by the motor manufacturer.
Water Distribution System
- Single water inlet and outlet designed to have the right connections for your application.
- Pressurized spray distribution system is self-balancing and designed for a range of flows.
- Marley NS7 polypropylene nozzles deliver precise distribution of water over the fill area. Grommet style nozzles make replacement easy and are not alignment dependent.
- Marley MC thermoformed PVC film fill is assembled in blocks for easy removal and cleaning and is usable as a walking surface.
- Industry First Triple Pass Louvers and Eliminators that limit drift losses to no more than .001% of the design flow rate. Less louver “splash-out” than that typically found in competitive counterflow designs.
- Counterflow configuration provides a fully encased fill design inhibiting ice formation.
- Steel Construction G235 heavy mill galvanized steel construction standard. Series 300 stainless steel optional.
- Factory assembly ensures hassle-free installation. On site assembly is available.
- Easy Access from all four sides of the cooling tower allows entry at any point of the basin.
- High Efficiency Axial Fan Adjustable-pitch fan blades permit the maximum utilization of rated horsepower and optimal tower performance.
- Fan Motor TEFC 1.15 service factor, vertical-shaft motor designed to Marley specifications for cooling tower duty. Specially insulated for humid cooling tower service.
- Five-Year Mechanical Warranty - Five-year total mechanical equipment warranty including mechanical equipment support.
- Mechanical Access Door Platform - steel structure and bar-grating attached to and supported by the tower.
- Control Systems - ranges in sophistication from standard fan starters and disconnects to Programmable Logic Controllers that work in conjunction with your building or process system.
- Variable Speed Drive - provides the ultimate in temperature control, energy management, sound control and mechanical equipment longevity.
- Solid State Water Level Control Package - monitor basin water level with solenoid-valve water makeup. Configurations include makeup along with high and low water level alarm and cutoff and electric basin heater cutoff.
- Stainless Steel Collection Basin - all collection basin parts exposed to the circulating water, including structural members projecting into the basin, plus attaching hardware, and all basin options, including sumps, are heavy-gauge series 300 stainless steel. Galvanized steel tower option.
- Electric basin heater - a stainless steel electric immersion heater employs a magnetic contactor and solid-state circuit board to help prevent freezing during cold weather.
- Sound attenuation - baffles can be installed across the length of the air outlet opening. All baffles are contained within a self-supporting steel box. Splash attenuation is also available.