For decades, SPX Cooling Technologies has been a leading producer of counterflow cooling towers for large industrial installations. The Marley MD cooling tower takes advantage of this experience by bringing it down to size. The Marley MD is a packaged counterflow cooling tower. Available either Factory Assembled or Field Erected, the Marley MD cooling tower requires less plan area than a crossflow cooling tower for many HVAC and light industrial duties.
Details:CTI Certified - Eurovent Certified - ASHRAE 90.1 compliant - OSHA compliant - Rugged G235 galvanized steel is standard with 300 series stainless steel as an optional upgrade to part or the entire cooling tower structure - Triple-pass inlet louvers and drift eliminators that conserve water and improve winter operation 5 year mechanical warranty
Counterflow cooling towers have different footprints from crossflow cooling towers and offer layout alternatives. Where space is limited or otherwise restricted, a counterflow cooling tower may be a perfect fit. In addition to taking up less site space, counterflow cooling towers may have a lower installed weight. Plus, piping costs can be reduced since a single inlet is usually standard.
Triple-pass inlet louvers limit the sunlight entering the collection basin, reducing the potential for algae growth. Counterflow cooling towers offer easy access to the collection basin from all sides. The wet surface is totally enclosed for protection from environmental elements, and the MD cooling tower utilizes a corrosion-resistant spray system.
Heavy-duty construction, high-performance design, and our five-year mechanical warranty ensure consistent, fully rated cooling over a wide range of flow and temperature requirements.
Induced draft counterflow cooling tower design requires less plan area than crossflow cooling towers for many HVAC and light industrial duties. And because the cooling tower’s size typically results in less steel used, its reduced weight requires less support structure.
Low Energy Consumption
Induced draft counterflow mechanical equipment minimizes the energy consumption by providing a lower fan energy requirement than centrifugal fan counterflow cooling towers.
Ease of maintenance
SPX Cooling Technologies has worked hard to address the maintenance difficulties long associated with counterflow cooling towers. Our MD cooling tower provides larger access doors, easily removable block fill and other features that simplify maintenance.
The CTI-Certified Marley MD cooling tower comes standard with our low sound fan, suitable for most noise-sensitive situations. Multiple fan and attenuation options are available to meet more stringent sound requirements.
Superior Water Management
To address the “splash-out” problem typically found in other manufacturer’s counterflow cooling tower designs, SPX introduces an industry first: a triple-pass inlet louver that conserves water and improves winter operation.
Product Details and Options
What makes the Marley counterflow cooling tower stand out from other manufacturers?
- Triple-pass inlet louvers and drift eliminator for superior splash-out protection and water conservation
- SPX's position as "sole source supplier" for all configurations of cooling towers and fluid coolers
- The Marley reputation. Our brand name. Our service. Our position as an undisputed industry leader in product quality.
Air Movement Package
- High efficiency fan - wide-chord design for maximum efficiency at low fan tip speeds.
- Eased inlet fan cylinder - ensures full area, low turbulent airflow through the cylinder.
- Spherical roller bearings are rated at an L10 life of 100,000 hours.
- TEFC Fan Motor 1.15 service factor, variable torque, and specially insulated for cooling tower duty for extended life.
- The MD Series air movement package including the structural support - guaranteed against failure for a period of five full years.
Water Distribution System
- Pressurized spray distribution distributes water evenly over the fill.
- Low-clog polypropylene nozzles - deliver precise distribution of water over the fill area.
- Marley MC thermoformed PVC film fill assembled into packs for easy removal and cleaning..
- Marley XCEL drift eliminators - limit drift losses to no more than .001% of the design flow rate.
- Induced-draft counterflow design may require less plan area than crossflow cooling towers typically use
- Steel Construction - heavy mill galvanized steel construction standard. Series 300 stainless steel optional.
- Factory assembly – ensures final field installation will be hassle-free.
- Triple-pass PVC inlet louvers – limit splash-out and eliminate sunlight from entering the cooling tower collection basin
- High Efficiency Axial Fan - Adjustable pitch fan blades permit the maximum utilization of rated horsepower and optimal cooling tower performance.
- Premium Efficiency Fan Motor TEFC 1.15 service factor, vertical-shaft motor designed to Marley specifications for cooling tower duty. Specially insulated for humid cooling tower service.
- Five-Year Mechanical Warranty - Five-year total mechanical equipment warranty including mechanical equipment support.
- Welded Stainless Steel Collection Basin – For extra protection, all collection basin parts exposed to the circulating water (including structural members that project into the basin) and all basin options are heavy-gauge 300 stainless steel.
- Mechanical Access Door Platform - steel structure and bar-grating attached to and supported by the cooling tower, allowing access to the mechanical system, drift eliminators, distribution system and fill.
- Ultra Quiet Fan – wide-chord acoustic geometry fan maximizes efficiency while significantly reducing sound levels. Fan is constructed of lightweight and durable, corrosion and fire resistant marine grade aluminum.
- Sound Attenuation – splash attenuation media installed in the collection basin reduces falling water noise effectively and economically. Fan outlet attenuation is also available.
- Basin Sweeper Piping - factory installed sweeper piping helps to limit dirt and debris buildup in the collection basin, augmenting system filtration.
- Control Systems - range in sophistication from standard fan starters and disconnects to Programmable Logic Controllers that work in conjunction with your building or process system.
- Variable Speed Drive - provides the ultimate in temperature control, energy management, sound control and mechanical equipment longevity.
- Solid State Water Level Control Package - monitor basin water level with solenoid-valve water makeup. Optional configurations include makeup, high water level alarm, low water level alarm, high and low level cutoffs, and electric basin heater cutoff.
- Electric Basin Heater - a stainless steel electric immersion heater employs a magnetic contactor and solid-state circuit board to help prevent freezing during cold weather.